

CONFIRMED MINUTES

BOARD MEETING 3 2019



At the **Board Meeting 5 2019** on **19 Aug 2019** these minutes were **confirmed as presented**.

Name:	Pillans Point School
Date:	Monday, 27 May 2019
Time:	6:00 PM to 8:52 PM
Location:	Pillans Point School - Staffroom, 101 Maxwells Road Otumoetai Tauranga
Board Members:	Scott Hamilton (Chair), Catherine Flowerday, Mel McDonald, Cherie Horne, Sarah Stock, Shannon Hannah
Attendees:	Christine Winstanley, Jess Holtom, Luke Stewart, Matt Simeon
Guests/Notes:	Corey Hinde, Deanna Patton, Lee Simeon, Hadley Page

1. Opening Meeting

1.1 Visitors 6pm

Meeting opened. Parents welcomed. Robust discussion in committee was held.



Refer Action Points within IN COMMITTEE MINUTES

Refer Action Points within IN COMMITTEE MINUTES

Due Date: 28 May 2019
Owner: Matt Simeon

1.2 Confirm Minutes

Board Meeting #2 2019 1 Apr 2019, the minutes were confirmed as presented.

Matt notes that we need to please record the official election date: Friday 7th June 2019.

Scott notes we need to ensure all In Committee items (including action points) are removed from general minutes.



Minutes confirmed with Amendment re election date

Election date of Friday 7 June 2019 to be added.

Decision Date: 27 May 2019
Mover: Luke Stewart
Second: Catherine Flowerday
Outcome: Approved



Remove all In Committee sensitive names/action points out of general minutes

Remove all In Committee sensitive names/action points out of general minutes

Due Date: 31 May 2019

Owner: Ange Burgess

1.3 Interests Register

1.4 Visitor - 6:15pm Hadley Page

Board welcomes Hadley to Board meeting. Board acknowledges unusual nature of meeting this evening.

2. Major Decisions and Discussions

2.1 International Students Business Summary - Lee Simeon to visit

Welcome to Lee.

Attachments taken as read.

Lee acknowledges the policies & procedures have been reviewed and tightened. With changes coming in July - these will need to be reviewed/tightened further. Acknowledgement of issues along the way with staff leaving. Lee feels policies and procedures are in a good place should someone have to come in and take over.

Lee acknowledges the support from the Board. Physical meetings with Jess have been difficult to organise.

Lee notes we need to sort a Teacher Aide replacement ASAP. Parents of International Students feel relieved with resignation of latest ESOL teacher, and are keen for Lee to take the time to find a great replacement. Acknowledgement that a better programme is required for ESOL. The way forward is the Cambridge English programme - which has been ordered & will arrive soon.

Response to this from International parents has been very positive - they are grateful for the transparency. Lee has had training in the UK with this programme and has been in touch w the programme creators and feels very confident about this route. Eventually PPS would like to offer the Cambridge English exam; which could offer income revenue in time to come.

Acknowledgement of how lucky the school was to have Tracy & what a great job she did.

Discussion regarding which market this Programme would appeal to and which markets to focus on. Agreement that the Korean Market is the strongest - and PPS having accreditation to offer testing/qualification would strengthen our position with it - with students being able to leave with a qualification.

Discussion re process for SEIBA policy changes & what we need to do to update the policies. Lee notes this will all go through Jess for review. Lee also notes policies can be updated/amended as required. Discussion re insurance policy - Lee suggest SEIBA will likely create one.

Board notes major challenges noted in Lee's report are around Homestays. Finding homestays is very difficult - getting people to offer their homes is difficult. Feedback from latest visit from Chinese adults has not been that positive. We are not getting repeat Homestay families (i.e offering more than once). The police vetting process turnaround time is problematic & a difficult process.

Matt notes we need to educate/give more information about what being a Homestay involves for adult visitors. Many staff would have considered offering - if they knew more. Homestays for kids is harder.

Robust discussion re options to encourage more people to offer their homes for homestay. i.e. make it easier for families, profiles of families who have had a positive experience; educate / inform people better - i.e it's about offering a kiwi experience - not as a bit of money on the side.

Lee is attending a Homestay workshop in Auckland next week which will hopefully offer further insight in ways to promote being a Homestay. Lee will also explore the tax implications at this workshop.



Create information/education resource on being a PPS Homestay

Create information/education resource on being a PPS Homestay.

Due Date: 30 Jun 2019

Owner: Matt Simeon



Add the SIEBA contract which allows Lee Simeon (IS Manager) to authorise to the yearly delegations.

Add the SIEBA contract which allows Lee Simeon (IS Manager) to legally authorise documents on behalf of the board to the yearly delegations.

Due Date: 30 May 2019

Owner: Matt Simeon

2.2 Board Elections 2019

Board notes checklist and nomination process is complete. Voting papers will all be sent by Wednesday 29th May.

2.3 Building Update - From Hayley MOE

Taken as read.

Traffic Management plan for carpark removal discussed. Pillans Rd will not be closed for parking; but slight restriction on parking will be made - i.e yellow lines placed around entry to building site.

Matt discusses feedback from neighbours. No major barriers to Stage one.

PPS community been notified of next stage of building works in last newsletter. Notification board of Stages of Development for community is currently being printed and will be displayed very soon.

The aim for turning soil is early next year.

The biggest concern we have had from kids/neighbours is the timing of the development down at Bureta Park (i.e. coinciding with PPS development. The Bureta Park development has been delayed and building there is not expected for another few years. This is no longer a major concern.

2.4 School Van Updated

Board offers congratulations on school van, and acknowledge pictures. Board discusses potential uses for the van. Booster seats discussed.

Otumoetai Automotive have sponsored the servicing & will get sign writing in return.

Other sign writing discussed.

2.5 Board Projects Playscape Update

Acknowledgement that Board is going to seek additional funding for completion of the Playscape.

PTA's response hasn't been the best to this project. Parental concern on the playground regarding money spent on this area is misguided.

Board discusses why this might be. One reason may be the fact that the project started so quickly - it took people by surprise. Comms could have been handled better in this area.

Board asks do we need to address PTA concerns over fundraising & whether what they're fundraising for doesn't align with what the school needs the money for.

Discussion regarding lack of involvement & action by PTA members for events like the disco and other fundraising incentives. How can we improve this? Communication with the PTA is a key area.

Board discusses what we have achieved in terms of the list that's been created in the past year or so. Board agrees we need to communicate what we did achieve last year (i.e. ticked off nearly the whole list) with the PTA and wider community; and we should ask the PTA/community what items they feel should be on a new list.

Matt will communicate with the PTA as an action point.

Board acknowledges we need PTA members to have a positive experience - so that others would like to join in future.



Scott's signature required on various documents

Scott's signature required on various documents relating to the project.

Due Date: 27 May 2019
Owner: Scott Hamilton



Loop back to PTA on what we have achieved, smooth the waters, seek context and support.

Loop back to PTA on what we have achieved, smooth the waters, seek context and support. Educate the PTA on how funding works i.e. grants, fundraising, International Student income etc.

Due Date: 30 Jun 2019
Owner: Matt Simeon

2.6 Energy Efficiency and Conservation Authority Lighting Upgrade

Exhibit A noted by the Board - burnt out element of light from office.

Matt introduces idea of the buy back plan to have all lights replaced with LED's within the school by Direct Energy Solutions.

This LED replacement can be incorporated into the current building development plans; the new lighting can be removed, and replaced after development.

Unknown costs (risks to be mitigated) are any safety work required to bring things up to spec along the way (i.e. dodgy wiring, switches due to fail).

Matt refers to previous schools who have done this deal - and what savings have been made. Very positive.

Board agrees this to proposal.



Board approves Direct Energy Solution LED replacement

Board approves Direct Energy Solution LED replacement

Decision Date: 27 May 2019
Mover: Matt Simeon
Seconded: Mel McDonald

Outcome: Approved

2.7 Teacher Negotiations and Strike Action

Board acknowledges their support for PPS staff involved in teacher negotiations and strike.

Discussion on whether there'll be a positive outcome from the strike. Matt notes he feels this is unlikely.

Matt has been trying to educate/inform the community regarding WHY primary teachers are striking - it's not just about income, it's about conditions and wellbeing.

Discussion about what the Board pays the staff - we offer 1.5 hours of planning/development time. This isn't a lot considering Secondary teachers get 5 hours a week. The value to offer more time to our staff is worth \$92000 & the school's budget can't sustain this.

Discussion regarding LSC - Learning Support Co-ordinators. First commitment from the Government is 600 will be placed, but the aim is to roll it out to allow for one in each school. PPS will likely get a Learning Support Co-ordinator in the first round.

The Senior Management Team is doing all they can to support PPS staff & to ensure their health & wellbeing is upheld. i.e email after Sunday documentary & addressing issue in weekly comms meeting. There is currently not a policy as such around this, but resources & support are available to staff.

Discussion re taking care over HOW we discuss this issue - to ensure pessimism etc isn't being fostered.

Acknowledgement over the need to inform the community - there's a lot people don't know regarding what teachers actually invest in their job in terms of time, tasks, familial support etc.

2.8 Hometime - Before and After School Care

Noted.

3. Management Reports

3.1 Finance Report

Take profit report as read.

Going forward Lorna is working on the format of the accounts. In the future we'll be able to present items in the P&L with notes as to why/how to allow for more visibility. We'll add the budget for the year - so we can see how we're tracking, where we're heading. We'll add a balance sheet; also a capex budget which will show what we've bought, what we've got left & how we envisage that to be spent. Agree to focus on larger / significant numbers for reporting.



Payments to Ratify

Payments to ratify Approved.

Decision Date: 27 May 2019
Mover: Scott Hamilton
Seconded: Matt Simeon
Outcome: Approved

3.2 Health & Safety

Staff have been informed & discussions have been had regarding what a lockdown COULD look like.

Police Education came and visited the school and reviewed our lock down procedure. They were very happy with the procedure PPS has in place - that we have a policy, that our kids have practised and that the policy is visible.

4. Actions from Previous Meetings

4.1 Action Item List

Due Date	Action Title	Owner
2 Dec 2018	Supporters Board updated. Status: Completed on 1 Apr 2019	Matt Simeon
3 Dec 2018	Overview of how an Admin based person could work. Status: Completed on 6 Jun 2019	Matt Simeon
10 Dec 2018	Community Property Info Board Status: Completed on 6 Jun 2019	Matt Simeon
12 Feb 2019	Out of Zone enrolments Status: Completed on 6 May 2019	Matt Simeon
1 Apr 2019	Schedule in International Presentation to Board Status: Completed on 6 May 2019	Matt Simeon
1 Apr 2019	Recognition of Personal Identity Policy Status: In Progress	Matt Simeon
3 Apr 2019	Put Scott's email address on Website as board contact Status: Completed on 6 May 2019	Matt Simeon
5 Apr 2019	Consistency with grammar, capitals, and spelling etc. Proof read and edit. Status: Completed on 22 May 2019	Cherie Horne
6 Apr 2019	Summaries Pages 3 & 4 as a tick sheet for the board. Reduce to 1 page. Status: Completed on 7 May 2019	Matt Simeon
12 Apr 2019	Sort board governance folder into board pro Status: Completed on 6 May 2019	Matt Simeon
26 Apr 2019	Address First Aid kit for Pool & Van if van goes ahead. Status: Completed on 7 May 2019	Matt Simeon
1 May 2019	Develop budget for the Kiwi Tui Area Status: In Progress	Sarah Stock
3 May 2019	Review Lockdown Procedure Status: Completed on 6 May 2019	Matt Simeon
10 May 2019	Investigate/find out as much as we can in terms of running our ow... Status: Completed on 6 Jun 2019	Matt Simeon
1 Sep 2019	Complete Community and Staff survey again in 12 months Status: In Progress	Matt Simeon

Noted that First Aid kit for pool has been bought, just hasn't been put up as pool is not currently in use.

Board to discuss Recognition policy. Trucking along well with all other actions.

5. Compliance Reporting

5.1 Correspondence



Matt to get correspondence from Lianne & Disseminate

Matt to get correspondence from Lianne & Disseminate

Due Date: 31 May 2019

Owner: Matt Simeon

5.2 Self Review 2019 Full Year

Matt presents points above to Board; acknowledges Staff have been informed regarding policies & feel informed.

Discussion regarding Health Education/Curriculum - How DO we consult with community regarding this? i.e. we shouldn't just say it's available. What is the process for consultation with parents/community? The only policy we have to consult annually on is the Health Education/Curriculum - this was addressed with parental survey this year.

Board acknowledges newsletter is best process to consult/communicate w community on this.

Discussion on SchoolDocs and what their policy review/redraft process is. SchoolDocs automatically updates policies relating to PPS.

Discussion regarding whether a Board Member needs to review SchoolDocs policies at the beginning of each Term to ensure they fit for our school.



Matt to put consultation regarding Health Curriculum policy in newsletter

Matt to put consultation regarding Health Curriculum policy in newsletter

Due Date: 31 May 2019

Owner: Matt Simeon



Matt to assess whether School Docs sends out policies with tracked changes

Matt to assess whether School Docs sends out policies with tracked changes. To also find out how policies we've changed, are incorporated into their future policies.

Due Date: 29 Jun 2019

Owner: Matt Simeon



Allocate person to assess/review policies at the beginning of each term

To be done at first meeting after new Board is elected and when roles are being defined. Track changes/track questions raised.

Due Date: 30 Jun 2019

Owner: Matt Simeon

6. Other Business

6.1 Community of Learning - Kahui Ako

Nothing to report as yet. Minutes yet to be confirmed. Once confirmed, we'll discuss next meeting.

7. Close Meeting

7.1 Close the meeting

Next meeting: Board Meeting 4 2019 - 24 Jun 2019, 6:00 PM

Note that this is the last meeting of this current board before the election.

It will be Christine's last meeting as staff rep, as she is not standing again due to going over seas.

Acknowledgement and thank you to Christine Winstanley for her service on the board.

What have we achieved this evening:

MEL MCDONALD: Thank you to Christine for the insight & balanced perspective she has brought to the Board. Great overall discussion. Acknowledgement this is last meeting of current board. Also acknowledgement of Sarah for work around Playscape development.

CHERIE HORNE: Acknowledgement of work done by Lee into business summary. Thank you to Jess for review of policies & feedback to Lee - hugely useful. No doubt that International Business is in very good hands, despite current setbacks. Cambridge Programme definitely the right way to go, will be very exciting to deliver.

JESS HOLTOM: Welcomes parents coming to meetings and presenting themselves rather than through email - gives Board so much more insight. Even if feedback is difficult to receive it's so valuable.

MATT SIMEON: Good robust discussion on many aspects that have contentions around them.

SARAH STOCK: Agree with Jess. Great to hear questions asked of Board, and to hear everyone working them through together.

LUKE STEWART: It's been a great board, proud of what we've achieved, we've been engaged through the process. Thanks to the newcomers.

SHANNON HANNAH: Appreciation of why our teachers are striking and learning about how teachers use their release times.

CHRISTINE WINSTANLEY: So lucky to have Tracy for the length of time we did; something like Cambridge English coming in is great as it's a consistent programme that's easy to deliver, making staff changes easier to deal with. Thanks Board for experience her release of 1 year.

CATHERINE FLOWERDAY: although feedback from parents was not nice to hear, and discussion around PTA was also difficult, without those discussions it's hard to move forward. Great to work on those things together.

SCOTT HAMILTON: Great to see how International is going, despite issues. Other thing that's very exciting is so many people who have put their names down to be on the Board - positive reflection on the school. A great step forward.

Signature: _____

Date: _____